Oral And Maxillofacial Surgery Clinic
Oral & Maxillofacial (OMF) Surgeons specialize in the diagnosis and treatment of diseases affecting the mouth, jaws, face and neck.
OMF surgery is often seen as the bridge between medicine and dentistry, treating conditions that require expertise from both backgrounds such as head and neck cancers, salivary gland diseases, facial disproportion, facial pain, temporomandibular joint disorders, impacted teeth, cysts and tumours of the jaws as well as numerous problems affecting the oral mucosa such as mouth ulcers and infections.
Procedures carried out by the oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon at PCEA Kikuyu Hospital include:
• Disimpaction / Surgical removal (extraction) of impacted teeth, usually the third molars (wisdom teeth) and maxillary canines.
• Facial trauma; fractures of the jaw bones, nose, cheek bone (zygoma), orbit, frontal bone.
• Dental implant surgery for teeth replacement.
• Maxillofacial implants for prosthetic attachment (replacement of missing facial structures such as nose, ears, orbital/ocular prosthesis).
• Surgery for removal of jaw, mouth and facial tumors both benign and malignant (cancers).
• Reconstructive surgery for deformities and defects of the mouth, lips, jaws and the face both congenital and acquired.
• Surgery for cleft lip and palate.
• Treatment of salivary gland diseases and tumors.
• Treatment of facial pain and neuralgias.
• Orthognathic surgery for congenital or acquired malocclusions.